5 years, 1 month ago
Mission Hospice offers a unique form of therapy that involves instrumental and vocal activities to meet the needs of our patients. It allows us to address the physical, emotional, cultural and spiritual needs of patients, their families, and caregivers in a time when other measures may not be an option.
What is Music Therapy?
- Music Therapy is an established evidence-based health profession in which music is used within a therapeutic relationship to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals.
- Through musical involvement in the therapeutic context, clients' abilities are strengthened and transferred to other areas of their lives.
- Music is a form of sensory stimulation, which through its unique interaction with the brain, provokes positive responses due to the familiarity, predictability, and feelings of security associated with it.
What does a Music Therapist do?
- Music therapists use music activities, both instrumental and vocal, designed to facilitate changes that are non-musical in nature. Music therapy programs are based on individual assessment, treatment planning, and ongoing program evaluation.
- Music therapists function as member of your hospice team, who work together to address a vast continuum of outcomes, including reduction of pain and anxiety, stress management, communication, and emotional expression.
Music Therapy at the End of Life
The journey through end of life is a unique and special time for patients and their families. Music therapy helps to support this time through a non-threatening medium, allowing support physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Music Therapy Can…
- Facilitate creative personal expression
- Decrease symptoms of anxiety & depression
- Assist with pain management
- Provide a space for life review
- Promote reality orientation
- Provide a non-threatening means of communication
- Provide a safe space to release emotions
- Provide a unique way for families to interact with loved ones when words are not available
- Provide spiritual support
- Improve coping skills
- Improve quality of life
About our program:
Our program is led by Darci Fontenot, MSW, MT-BC. Darci is passionate about music therapy and hospice care, and providing compassionate care and support to patients and families facing terminal illness.
“I have seen the power of music over and over again. Music reaches deep into our memories and life experiences, providing a space for real connection & healing. The laughs, tears, memories, and beauty I have seen working with music and end of life, fills my heart, and keeps me inspired to do this work every day.” - Darci
“Where words fail, music speaks.” -Hans Christian Andersen
To find out more about our program, contact Mission Hospice
2365 Northside Dr., Suite. 100
San Diego, CA 92108
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook